Home > Famous Houses in United States > Molly Brown House


Molly Brown House


Molly Brown House


Molly Brown house was built in the year of 1880s by the architects of Mr. George W. Clayton and William A. Lang. Molly Brown house can also be referred as "The House of Lions". The house was originally owned by Isaac and Mary Large. They suffered financially from the crash resulting the revoke of Sherman Silver Purchase Act in 1893 and were forced to sell the house. The house was purchased by James Joseph Brown (J.J.), wife of Margaret. Brown was also identified as "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". Because she survived the sinking of the RMS Titanic. In 1894, he bought the house for US $30,000 and in 1898 the title was transferred to his wife, Margaret, due to J. J.'s deteriorating health.

In 1902, the Governor's mansion was under the process of remodeling for the Governor of Colorado. Margaret and her family traveled out for a long time, and so the house was rented out. Maggie invited the Governor and his family to use her home when the process was undergoing. During the great depression, Margaret turned her house into a boarding house under the supervision of her housekeeper. Then the house was sold after the death of Margaret. In 1932, it was also during the depression, she died. The house was sold for $6,000. The Molly Brown house was in disrepair and the new owner of that house awfully remodeled the house of 12 roomers. Currently, it is also a museum.