Home > World famous houses in regions > Czech Republic



Brandys nad Labem

Brandys nad Labem-Stary Boleslav is a city in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic on the banks of the Elbe river.
Brandys nad Labem
Brandys nad Labem-Stary Boleslav is a city in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic on the banks of the Elbe river, in the heart of an agricultural region about 25 km north-east of Prague. Brandys nad Labem dates its source to the 13th century. In 1960, the two cities joined to form the twin city of Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav, with a population of about 15,500. Stara Boleslav is Czech historical city and the oldest place of pilgrimage in central Bohemia near Prague. Stara Boleslav was previously an early Middle Ages P?emyslid dynasty stronghold built at the turn of the 9th and 10th century surrounded by stone rampart. It becomes famous through historical event – the murder of Prince Wenceslas by his brother Boleslav at the gate of St. Kosma and Damian church on September 28 935 (or 929). Roman emperor Charles IV. During the 14th century used to visit the city, used to support the chapter and let build new rampart. Contrary the Hussite wars in 1420s meant bad periods. Most of the buildings including chapter residence and churches got burned and canons ran away with archive and treasure. The importance of Boleslav declined. At the turn of the 16th and 17th century Boleslav became famous thanks to cult of Madonna 1617-1625 the new baroque Church of Virgin Mary Assumption was built by Jacoppo de Vaccani. Relief of Madonna called also as Palladium of Czech Land.


Cervene Janovice

Cervene Janovice is a village and municipality in Kutna Hora District of Central Bohemian Region, in Czech Republic.
Cervene Janovice
Cervene Janovice is a village and municipality in Kutna Hora District of Central Bohemian Region, in Czech Republic. It is situated about 65 km southeast of Prague or 13 km south of Kutna Hora and has a population of 706 (2006). This site was first mentioned in 1352, and was called Janovicky up to the 18th century. Worth mention are local baroque chateau, church of St Martin in manner of Romanesque revival and a statue of St. John of Nepomuk. Vaclav Budovec of Budov, one of leading politicians of the Bohemian Revolt, was born here in 1551.


Dobrichovice

Dobrichovice is a town lying on both banks of the river Berounka, about 25 km south-west from the centre of the Czech capital Prague.
Dobrichovice
Dobrichovice is a town lying on both banks of the river Berounka, about 25 km south-west from the centre of the Czech capital Prague. Dobrichovice is located on the half way between Prague and Karlstejn Castle, one of the most famous landmarks in the Czech Republic. Dobrichovice has about 3000 permanent inhabitants and many hundred temporary inhabitants coming to spend weekend on cottages scattered by the waterside. Important railway line Prague-Beroun-Pilsen-Nuremberg is located on the right bank of the Berounka River. In August 2002 important part of Dobrichovice was flooded by the river and more than 200 houses in Dobrichovice were harshly hit up to the ground floor. The flood have also damaged local 30 years old footbridge which has been then replaced by new one, also funded from the European Phare fund. Dobrichovice was proclaimed a city by the Czech parliament in 2006.


Dobris

Dobris is a city with about 7,900 inhabitants, 40 km south of Prague.
Dobris
Dobris is a city with about 7,900 inhabitants, 40 km south of Prague. It was first mentioned in 1252 in a file signed by King Wenceslas I. Dobris was given city privileges by King Ferdinand I in 1543. In the nineteenth century the city became associated with the manufacturing of gloves. This manufacturer was first developed by Salamon Abeles. In the city there is a castle, with connections to the Colloredo-Mansfelds. In the city centre and close to the main road to Prague, there are Bobcat-factories. Near Dobris, in Stara Hut, there is a pond where Muskrat was first released in continental Europe.


Drabske svetnicky

Drabske svetnicky is a ruin of a 13th century rock fort in the Czech Republic.
Drabske svetnicky
Drabske svetnicky is a ruin of a 13th century rock fort in the Czech Republic. It is situated about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) northeast of Mnichovo Hradiste on a ragged edge of a sandstone cliff high above surrounding landscape. The castle covers a group of seven sandstone rocks, connected with wooden bridges. The castle has been abandoned since the Hussite wars in the15th century.


Horovice

Horovice is a small town in Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic.
Horovice
Horovice is a small town in Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It is the administrative and economical center of surrounding region. It’s most known building is Horovice Castle. Archaeological excavations show previous settlement in 10th century. This settlement grew at the end of the 13th century and beginning of the 14th century when a trading post was recognized. This trading post was later rebuilt and extended to a castle in the gothic style (the so called 'Old Castle'). The general Jewish surname Horowitz derives from Horovice, which at one period had a substantial Jewish population (although not in modern times).


Kacina

Kacina is the most significant empire castle in the central region of The Czech Republic.
Kacina
Kacina is the most significant empire castle in the central region of The Czech Republic. From 1945 Kacina is national belongings. It was built in the site of defunct medieval village Kacín as a prestige mansion of the supreme burgrave of the Kingdom of Bohemia and president of governorate Jan Rudolf Chotek (1748 – 1824) from 1806 to 1824. Architectural plan had drawn up Saxon royal architect Christian Franz Schuricht (1753 – 1832) from Dresden. The castle is divided into three parts. The main (central) building with exquisite halls and the house of earl family, then two quarter circle adjacent lower wings with pillared colonnade where the guest rooms were situated. To those wings were linked other pavilions. In the right one is located never finished mansion chapel and theatre which were finished in the first half of 19th century. In the left one there is a Chotek's wide library dated from 16th to 19th century. The castle is surrounded by vast park that was founded previously in 1789 according to the plan of famous Viennese botanic Nikolaus Joseph Freiherr von Jacquin (1727 – 1817), it was 13 year earlier than the castle itself.


Karlstejn Castle

Karlstejn Castle is a great Gothic castle founded 1348 AD by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor-elect and King of Bohemia.
Karlstejn Castle
Karlstejn Castle is a great Gothic castle founded 1348 AD by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor-elect and King of Bohemia. The castle served as a site for safekeeping the Imperial Regalia as well as the Bohemian coronation jewels, holy relics and other royal treasures. Situated about 30 km southwest of Prague above the village named Karlštejn, it is one of the most famous and most commonly visited castles in the Czech Republic. The castle was found in 1348. The construction was completed nearly twenty years later when the "heart" of the treasury - the Chapel of the Holy Cross situated in the Great tower - was consecrated in 1365. Individual buildings of the castle are located at different height levels expressing their importance. Dominating on the hilltop is the 60m high and discretely fortified Great tower built upon massive walls (4-6 m of thickness) that houses the Chapel of the Holy Cross. From there one can step down to the Marian tower, the five-storied Imperial palace and come to the Well tower and Burgrave's palace situated at the lowest level.


Kladno

Kladno is a city in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic.
Kladno
Kladno is a city in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic. It is situated 25 km northwest of Prague. Kladno is the main city of the region and holds a population together with its adjacent suburban areas of more than 110,000 people. The first written proof of Kladno dates back to the 14th century. In 1561 the city rights were protected. Kladno was the historical origin of heavy industry in Bohemia. For years, the town was house to the Poldi steel factory, the region's largest employer. The factory still stands but has been divided into smaller entities after privatization and changes in ownership.


Kokorin Castle

Kokorin Castle is a castle situated some 10 km (6 mi) northeast of M?lník, Czech Republic.
Kokorin Castle
Kokorin Castle is a castle situated some 10 km (6 mi) northeast of M?lník, Czech Republic. The castle was built in the first half of the 14th century by order of Hynek Berka z Dube. It was greatly damaged during the Hussite Wars and eventually became dilapidated. It was repaired in 1911–1918 and nationalize in 1948. The castle has been a National Cultural Landmark since 2001. After the castle and the same-name village is named as the whole nature preservation region of Kokorinsko.


Kolec

Kolec is a village in Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic.
Kolec
Kolec is a village in Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic. It is situated about 19 km northwest of Prague an 11 km northeast of Kladno and has a population of 588 (2006). Hamlets of Týnec and Mozolín, both situated in a neighbouring valley just under remains of early medieval fortified settlement of Budec, are administrative parts of Kolec. The initial mention of the village dates back to 12th century. In a document from about 1125-1140 it was affirmed to be in property of the Vysehrad Chapter of Prague. There is a small Baroque chateau with chapel of Holy Trinity in Kolec, built in 1710s on place of an older fort. The chapel, serving as a church for the growing village, was enlarged in the years 1898-1899. The privately owned chateau has been neglected and deeply dilapidated since 1990s. Now it belongs among the most endangered listed buildings in the area.


Kolín

Kolín is a town in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic some 55 kilometres east from Prague, lying on the Elbe River.
Kolín
Kolín is a town in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic some 55 kilometres east from Prague, lying on the Elbe River. Kolín was found by King Premysl Otakar II in the 13th century under the name Colonia nova (New Colony) (first mentioned in 1261). Later on, 1437, a castle was found here. Between 1475-1488, Hynek ze Straznic, a Renaissance writer and son of King George of Podebrady, lived in the Kolín fortress. The 1757 Battle of Kolin was fought during the Seven Years' War, and in 1944 a factory in Kolin was bombed during the Oil Campaign of World War II. Historical centre of the city has many gothic and baroque buildings. Most notable are major market (Karls Square), the Jewish ghetto and synagogue, very old and large Jewish cemetery, the St. Bartholomeus Church from the 13th century (work of architect Peter Parler).


Konopiste Castle

Konopiste is a chateau (castle) situated in the Czech Republic, about 50 km southeast of Prague, outside the city of Benesov.
Konopiste Castle
Konopiste is a chateau (castle) situated in the Czech Republic, about 50 km southeast of Prague, outside the city of Benesov. It has become famous as the last house of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir of the Austro-Hungarian throne, whose assassination in Sarajevo triggered World War I. The bullet that killed him, fired by Gavrilo Princip, is presently exhibit at the castle's museum. The castle was originally constructed as a Gothic fortification in the 13th century. The castle was later transformed in a Baroque style. The castle could be toured from April to October. To get there, take a train from Prague to Benesov u Prahy (about a one-hour ride) and then walk about 2.5 km from the station, or hold one of the not-too-frequent buses.


Mlada Boleslav Castle

Mlada Boleslav is a city in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic.
Mlada Boleslav Castle
Mlada Boleslav is a city in the Central Bohemian area of the Czech Republic, on the left bank of the Jizera River about 50 km northeast of Prague. Found in the second half of the 10th century by King Boleslav II as a royal castle. Because there previously was a castle known as Boleslav near Prague, this new castle was named Mlada (young) to distinguish it from the older Boleslav, which became known in the 15th century as Stara Boleslav (Old Boleslav).


Zleby Castle

Zleby is a village in the Czech Republic. It is well known for the baroque-romanticistic castle.
Zleby Castle
Zleby is a village in the Czech Republic. It is well known for the baroque-romanticistic castle (called Zamek Zleby in Czech), which is frequently target of sight-seeing. Castle's deer-park is known as one of two preserves that cherish white stag, and has a plenty of other wild animals, especially the hunting birds.


Cheb Castle

Cheb is a town in the Karlovy Vary Region of the Czech Republic, with about 33,000 inhabitants.
Cheb Castle
Cheb is a town in the Karlovy Vary Region of the Czech Republic, with about 33,000 inhabitants. It is located on the river Ohre (also called Eger in German), at the foot of one of the spurs of the Smrciny and near the border with Germany. Prior to 1945, the town was the centre of the German-speaking area known as Egerland, and was part of the Northern Austro-Bavarian dialect area. The name of the city was in 1061 record as Egire; in 1179 it was known as Egra; from 1322 as Eger and the nearby territory as Regio Egere and Provincia Egrensis; after the fourteenth century also called as Cheb or Chba. From 1850 it was given the double official names of Eger and Cheb. Since 1945, the city has been known as Cheb, but uses the name Stadt Eger on the German edition of its website. The twin cities of Cheb are Hof in Germany, Rheden in the Netherlands and Nizhny Tagil in Russia.


Hauenstejn Castle

Hauenstejn is a medieval castle in the Czech Republic. The castle is private belongings of Pavel Palacky, a descendant of Frantisek Palacky.
Hauenstejn Castle
Hauenstejn is a medieval castle in the Czech Republic. The castle is private belongings of Pavel Palacky, a descendant of Frantisek Palacky. Hauenstejn is located in the Ore mountains near the cities Straz nad Ohri, Ostrov nad Ohri, Klasterec nad Ohri and Karlovy Vary not far from the highest peak of Krusne hory - Klinovec. The castle was built in the 13th century by Premysl Otakar II or his son Vaclav II to guard royal paths and limited mines. The initial known owner was Mikulas Winkler, burgrave of Loket Castle, who sold Hauenstejn to the monastery in Doksany.


Kynzvart Castle

Castle Kynzvart is situated in the District of Okres Cheb in the Czech Republic. Previously built in 1623, the castle then collapsed.
Kynzvart Castle
Castle Kynzvart is situated in the District of Okres Cheb in the Czech Republic. Previously built in 1623, the castle then collapsed. From 1682 to 1691, Count Philipp Emmerich turns the decayed ruins into a Baroque castle; from 1821 to 1836, the Austrian Chancellor W.L. Metternich remodeled it in the imperial style with the assist of architect Pietro de Nobile. The castle was confiscate from his family in 1945 by the Czechoslovak government.
The castle has a valuable library, which contains medieval manuscripts, scientific books, valuable prints, and encyclopedias from a variety of scientific areas. In 1828 a museum was founded to display the natural science collections, coins, manuscripts, historical and technological curiosities, ancient Egyptian monuments, marmoreal plastics, and pieces of Oriental art held at the castle.


Bezdez Castle

Bezdez Castle is a Gothic castle situated some 20 km southeast of Ceska Lipa, Czech Republic. It was built in 1264-1278 by order of Premysl Otakar II.
Bezdez Castle
Bezdez Castle is a Gothic castle situated some 20 km southeast of Ceska Lipa, Czech Republic. It was built in 1264-1278 by order of Premysl Otakar II. The royal castle of Bezdez is one of the main Gothic castles in the Czech lands. Erected on the phonolite hill of Velky Bezdez in 1260-80, it became the characteristic main feature of the local landscape and met the demands for an inaccessible as well as respectable royal castle. Parts that are available to visitors are the castle precincts including the royal palace, burgrave's house and the unique early Gothic Chapel. The castle towers offer a stunning view of the surrounding landscape. The castle’s romantic silhouette has involved a number of artists, including the poet Karel Hynek Macha. The close to Pleasure Lake, dominated by the silhouette of the castle, bears his name, Lake Macha.


Frydstejn Castle

The ruins of Frydstejn Castle can be found in the Czech Republic, Liberec Region, near the town Turnov.
Frydstejn Castle
The ruins of Frydstejn Castle can be found in the Czech Republic, Liberec Region, near the town Turnov. It is one of three castles in Jablonec nad Nisou region. A typical rock castle, it lies on the upper end of an extensive sandstone rock ridge, next to the village of Frydstejn (former Zasada). The castle dominates the close by Jizera river valley and the old trade route from Turnov to the north. Frydstejn was constructed during 14th century (correct date is not known). It is mentioned for the first time in a church basis from 1385. Today the castle is owned by the town Frydstejn, which preserves its current state.


Grabstejn Castle

Grabstejn is a castle located not far from the city of Liberec in the Czech Republic, near the three-country-border area where the borders of the Czech Republic, Germany, and Poland meet.
Grabstejn  Castle
Grabstejn is a castle located not far from the city of Liberec in the Czech Republic, near the three-country-border area where the borders of the Czech Republic, Germany, and Poland meet. The new Gothic castle of Grafenstein was founded in the 13th century. In 1562, the castle was bought by Crown Chancellor Georg Mehl von Strelitz. Between 1566 and 1586, he had rebuilt the castle in Renaissance style and thus curved it into a representative chateau.


Valdstejn Castle

The Valdstejn Castle is an early Gothic castle close to Turnov in the Czech Republic.
Valdstejn Castle
The Valdstejn Castle is an early Gothic castle close to Turnov in the Czech Republic. This castle can be found in the cliff dwelling city of Hruboskalsko in the Bohemian Paradise. The city was built on three sandstone cliffs in the second half of the thirteenth century by Counts of the Waldstein relations. After 1420 the castle was occupies by the Hussites, then later by the Robber Barons. In 1621 the discarded castle was bought back by the Waldsteins. During the peak of the Baroque time, they built a pilgrimage church of John of Nepomuk.


Jansky vrch Castle

Jansky vrch is a castle in the Jesenik District, which lies in the Olomouc area in the Czech Republic.
Jansky vrch Castle
Jansky vrch is a castle in the Jesenik District, which lies in the Olomouc area in the Czech Republic. The castle Jansky Vrch stands on a hill above the city of Javornik in the north-western edge of Czech Silesia, a territory historically known as Sudetenland. The castle is first mentioned in written sources in 1307, when it was still the belongings of the Princes of Svidnik. The castle remained an main centre of cultural life in the region until the beginning of 20th century. In 1959, the castle Jansky Vrch was loaned to the state and it was taken over by the Czechoslovakian government in 1984, following the belongings agreement between Polish and Czechoslovakian Catholic archdioceses. It is now under the administration of the National Monument Institute in Olomouc and since January 1, 2002, it is on the record of national cultural monuments.


Sovinec Castle

Sovinec is a castle in the Czech Republic in the area of Bruntal.
Sovinec Castle
Sovinec is a castle in the Czech Republic in the area of Bruntal. The castle was found as before 1332 by the "Lords of Sovinec" ("Pani ze Sovince"). It was an main Hussite stronghold during the Hussite Wars. It was bought in 1543 by the Lords of Boskovice, who made it into a renaissance house. The last two Czech holder of Sovinec were Vavrince Edera ze Stiavnice (held it 1578-1592) and his son-in-law Jan starSi Kobylka z Kobyliho. After the battle at Bila Hora the castle came into the hands of the Teutonic control. It was occupied by the invading Swedish general, Torstenson in 1643 and was a Swedish fortress until 1650. During World War II it house units of the SS and burned down in 1945. It is being gradually rebuilt.


Kunetice Mountain Castle

Kunetice Mountain Castle is a castle in the Pardubice area of the Czech Republic.
Kunetice Mountain Castle
Kunetice Mountain Castle is a castle in the Pardubice area of the Czech Republic. The castle lies on Kunetice Mountain (Kuneticka Hora), about 6 km from the city of Pardubice. The castle played a main role during the Hussite Wars of the early 15th century, during which it was a fortress of Divis Borek of Miletinek (Divis Borek z Miletinka). In 1491 it was bought by Vilem of Pernstejn (Vilem z Pernstejna), who planned the castle rebuilt in the late Gothic style, with two towers and a moat. The construction was continued by Vilem's sons in the previous Renaissance style. During the Thirty Years' War, in the early 17th century, the castle was besieged many times; at the end of the war Swedish troops burn it to the ground. The castle remained a ruin until the early 20th century, when the Pardubice Museum Society was created. The group purchased the place in 1919 and began reconstruction in 1923, according to the plans of architect Dusan JurkoviC. The rebuilding was finished in 1996. Today the castle is now open to the public as a museum. On show are surviving murals, including a 1523 work depicting Samson and Delilah, the oldest known Renaissance mural in Bohemia. The castle also hosts special music or theatrical performances. The mountain and castle form a famous weekend destination for people living nearby.


Litice Castle

Litice Castle is a castle 7 km west of Zamberk in the Usti nad Orlici District, in the Pardubice area of the Czech Republic.
Litice Castle
Litice Castle is a castle 7 km west of Zamberk in the Usti nad Orlici District, in the Pardubice area of the Czech Republic. The steep slopes of the foothills of the Orlicke hory (Eagle Mountains) gave the advantage of a strategic position to the gothic castles being founded there at the nearer of the 13th century. The appearance of the oldest gothic castle was gone under the wide construction work launched in 1450 by George of Podebrady, later King of Bohemia. The importance of the castle started to decline and, because ensuing owners did not pay due attention to its upkeep either, it slowly fell into ruin. From the year 1562 Litice was owned by the lords of Bubno (z Bubna). The 19th century witnessed the fast disintegration of some of the castle structures. Repair work in the years 1890 to 1894 and then in the twenties and thirties of the 20th century stabilize the southern palace and the tower which then received its current gallery and roofing. The condition of the entire building further deteriorated in subsequent decades until the new owner, the State, instituted measures to stabilize the structure and to restore the palace and its foundations.


Zumberk Castle

The ruins of Zumberk Castle can be established next to the village of Zumberk, Pardubice Region.
Zumberk Castle
The ruins of Zumberk Castle can be established next to the village of Zumberk, Pardubice Region, the Czech Republic. The castle was almost certainly built during the end of 13th century, on a hilltop above the village, and was known under the German name Sunenberg. Its walls created a pentagon and were surrounded by a deep moat, with a service yard was placed next to the castle. Later, a township grows up under the hill. The first known owner of the castle and neighboring village was a robber knight; ownership of the castle changed several times afterwards. At the beginning of the 18th century, the castle was not occupied, though during 1760-1770 a physician lived there. The castle became desolate and was left to be a basis of construction material. During 1926-48 the castle was owned by the Club of Czech Tourists, and its structure was stabilize to prevent further destruction. Today the village is responsible for its maintenance, and access to the castle is limitless and free.


Bela Castle

Bela Castle is a castle situated in the Plzen Region of the Czech Republic.
Bela Castle
Bela Castle is a castle situated in the Plzen Region of the Czech Republic. The first mention of the fort comes from somewhere between 1315 and 1318. It is situated in the village of Dolni Bela near Plzen. The castle of Bela was built between 1313 and 1315 by Racek, a associate of the influential Czech house of Hroznata. The town itself was first mentioned in a written document in 1318. The castle was sold or even confiscate several times during 1400s and 1500s. The main notable owners during that time were probably the Gutstejns - Volf of Gutstejn was a robber and the castle was confiscated from him in 1509. The original deeply fortified castle was rebuilt to a chateau sometimes towards the end of the 1500s, while owned by the family of Markvarts of Hradek. At that time, the castle had a prominent guest - Krystof Harant stayed there before he started his trip to the Holy Land. In 1757, the fort was purchased by the Cistercian monastery of Plasy. Around 1785, the local peoples were allowed to take the castle apart and use the stones to build their own houses.


Klenova castle

Klenova castle is a large castle situated in southern Bohemia near the town of Klatovy.
Klenova castle
Klenova castle is a large castle situated in southern Bohemia near the town of Klatovy. Only ruins remain from the unique castle but new buildings were added in the 19th century. Klenova castle was built in 1291 as a part of the frontier defense system. Krystof Harant z Polzic a Bezdruzic, a writer and musician from the nobility, were born in 1564. Between the 17th and 18th centuries the castle fell in ruins but it was rebuild between 1832 and 1838. Today it hosts as an art gallery. Kozel is a hunting castle in classic style close to the town of Plzen, Czech Republic. The castle was built at the end of 18th century by designer Vaclav Haberditz for Jan Vojtech of Czernin. Around the castle we can find also a chapel, riding school and a stable. The area is bounded by a large park. It’s a very ancient ancestor of Kozel's in the United States today.