Home > Famous houses in australia > Opera house


Opera House

The Opera House covers 4.5 acres of land and offers 4.5 11 acres of usable space. It is 600 feet long and about 388 feet wide. The basic support is given by 580 concrete piers sunk up to 25 metres below sea level.Its power supply is equivalent for a town of 25,000 people. Its about 645 kilometres of electrical cable were used for electricity distribution. The Construction of the roof is done with 1,056,000 glazed white granite tiles, which were imported from Sweden. Despite their self-cleaning nature, they are under periodic maintenance and replacement.

Opera House

Inaugurated in 1973, the Sydney Opera House is a great architectural work of the 20th century that brings together multiple strands of creativity and innovation in both architectural form and structural design. A great urban sculpture set in a remarkable waterscape, at the tip of a peninsula projecting into Sydney Harbour, the building has had an enduring influence on architecture. The Sydney Opera House comprises three groups of interlocking vaulted ‘shells’ which roof two main performance halls and a restaurant. These shell-structures are set upon a vast platform and are surrounded by terrace areas that function as pedestrian concourses. In 1957, when the project of the Sydney Opera House was awarded by an international jury to Danish architect Jørn Utzon, it marked a radically new approach to construction.


The Opera House have nearly 1000 rooms, which includes five theatres, five rehearsal studios, two main halls, four restaurants, six bars and numerous souvenir shops. The interior portion of the House is composed of pink granite got from Tarana, NSW and wood and brush box plywood were from northern NSW. The series of large shells are the theatres, which is a depiction of the dissection of a hemisphere. The Large Shell is comprised of The Concert Hall and Opera Theatre, and the other theatres are on the sides of the shells. The smallest building is the Bennelong Restaurant. A much smaller set of shells set for one side of the Monumental steps houses, the restaurants.

The Sydney Opera House can be said to have its beginning during the late 1940s. Eugene Goossens, the Director of the NSW State Conservatorium of Music at the time, who lobbied to have a suitable venue for large theatrical productions which are to be built. At that time, a large enough space was in need for such productions apart from Sydney town Hall. By 1954, Goossens succession was there in gaining the support of NSW Premier. Joseph Cahill, who called for the designs of opera house. It was also Goossens who insisted that Bennelong Point be the site for the Opera House. Cahill's wish was on or near the Wynyard Railway Station, located in the north-western Sydney CBD.The competition was organized by Cahill and he received 233 entries. The basic design that was accepted in 1955 was done by Jørn Utzon, a Danish architect. Utzon arrived in Sydney in 1957 to help and supervise the project.

At the time of these plans,The Fort Macquarie Tram Depot, occupying the site, was demolished in 1958, and construction of the Opera House began in March, 1959. The project construction was done in three stages. Stage I [1959-1963] building the upper podium. Stage II [1963-1967] construction of the outer shells. Stage III [1967-73] The interior design and construction.

Among the three stages, Stage III, the interiors, In February 1963 during that work Utzon moved his whole office to Sydney. When there was a vary of government in 1965, and the new Askin government declared that the project was now under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Public Works.

In October 1965, Utzon gave a schedule setting out the completion dates of parts of his work for stage III to Davis Hughes the Minister for Public Works. Hughes withheld permission for the construction of plywood prototypes for the interiors. In time this forced Utzon to leave the project on February 28, 1966. He said that Hughes' rebuttal to pay Utzon any fees and the lack of alliance caused his resignation, and later notably described the situation as "Malice in Blunderland". In March 1966, Hughes presented him a abridged role as 'design architect', without any supervisory powers, under a board of executive architects, over the House's construction but Utzon redundant this.

In October of that year, the cost of the project, was only $22.9 million, less than a quarter of the final cost. Utzon's position was primarily taken over by Peter Hall, who became responsible for the interior design. Some new persons such as E.H. Farmer appointed as government architect & D.S. Littlemore & Lionel Todd in the same year to reinstate Utzon. Formally The Opera House was finished in 1973, at a cost of $102 million.The original estimated cost in 1957 was $7 million. The original completion date which was set by the government was January 26, 1963.

Formally The Opera House was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20, 1973. For the city of Sydney, The Sydney Opera House along with the Harbour Bridge with the shape of the building have been used as icons, featured in numerous films & television shows.