Home > Famous houses in Ireland > Castletown House


Castletown House

Castletown House, Ireland's finest Palladian country house, is an imposing building built in 1722 for William Connolly, the Speaker of the Irish House of Commons. The main block was designed by Italian architect by Alessandro Galilei and the wings were added by Edward Lovett Pearce in 1724.

The house was inherited by Tom Connolly in 1758 and the interior decoration was finished by his wife Louisa Lennox|Lady Louisa (great-grand-daughter of Charles II of England and Louise de Keroualle) during the 1760s and 1770s. Much of the work was carried out to designs of William Chambers.

Two particular features of Castletown is the Long Gallery, an 80 foot long room decorated in the Gallery_of_Pompeii_and_Herculaneum|Pompeian manner in blue and gold and the main staircase, which is cantilevered and made of white Portland stone.