Types Of Houses Central Passage House

Central Passage House

The Central-Passage houses are also known as center-hall house, hall-passage-parlor house, Williamsburg cottage, and Tidewater-type cottage. It was a vernacular, or folk form, house type from the colonial period onward into the 19th century in the United States.

It evolved mainly in colonial Maryland and Virginia from the hall and parlor house, beginning to appear in greater numbers by about 1700. It partially developed as greater economic security and developing social conventions transformed the reality of the American landscape and it was also heavily influenced by its formal architectural relatives, the Palladian and Georgian styles with their emphasis on symmetry.


The central-passage house was built much like the hall and parlor house, except that its hall and parlor were partitioned by a central passageway. In fact, in many of the earliest examples a hall-parlor arrangement had a second partition added inside the existing structure or an additional room was added to one side to form a central-passage house. In form it was one-and-a-half storied, on a raised foundation, and had gable-end chimneys.

Stylistic elements that were typical of the type were massive bookend chimneys with rectangular caps, flat or segmented arches over door and window openings, and a raised, often molded brick water table. When built with brick masonry load-bearing walls, decorative detailing often included Flemish bond and English bond. Diapering was also common on gable ends.

Your Comments

Required field

  Required field

Name :